Monday, March 30, 2009

Slow

It is a rare event that my husband and I have a day to ourselves. We typically have 1 or 3 kids with us, he works many weekends and generally we are just going in many different directions that manifest in the ways of birthday parties, karate, soccer, school projects, yard work, house work, grocery shopping, etc. Yesterday was not one of those days.

My daughter spent the day with a family friend and their kids. His kids were with their mother. He didn't have to work and that left the two of us on our own. I saw my daughter off and I actually went back to bed for an hour. I have not been sleeping well so that extra hour did me a lot of good. After that, I got up and walked into a clean kitchen and hot coffee thanks to hubby. We sat on the couch drinking coffee and decided that we should go see a movie... a grown-up movie. We saw Duplicity and loved it.

We spent the rest of the day watching sports; something we both love to do but never have the time or the competitive edge to win out over SpongeBob or Hannah Montana. We then ate ice cream for dinner; something we will never admit to our kids... . We finished the day by taking a walk with our dog and talking about nothing in particular.

Shortly after that my daughter came home covered in face paint, exhausted, and begging to go to bed. It was a good day for her too.

It was a slow day and a good day. We have too few of these and I will look forward to the rare occasion, months down the road where another one will occur by chance. For nearly three years, our lives have been turned upside down by a bitter woman who wishes us, and especially our marriage, harm. Many of our weekends are spent being divided into "his" and hers" teams and it is a tiresome existence.

How comforting it is to know that when the dust settles and we are on our own that we still like, love, and enjoy each other's company. He has his baggage and God knows, I have my own truckload and a storage unit of baggage, but somehow we work and I am thankful for what we have.

5 comments:

English Rider said...

I am Happy for you!

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Well written, Don't we all have baggage?

mtyler77 said...

I'm so happy you had a wonderful day! You deserve many more of them.

And ice cream for dinner? LOL--I do that when my husband is out of town!

Melinda

Shattered said...

English Rider: Thank you. It was a wonderful day... :)

Stuff could always...: Yes, we do all have baggage. I suppose that is what makes us human and also interesting. My husband calls me quirky. My "quirks" are more like faults in my eyes but he finds them endearing.

Melinda: My husband doesn't travel enough for me to eat ice cream by myself for dinner so we indulge together. :)

Deborah said...

I often wonder how you're doing, and came back to your blog today to read this. Without being indiscreet or intrusive, I'd like to say only that I hope things are going well and that I would like to see you back again sometime.